My Lovely Followers

Sunday, 20 May 2012

Altered Mini Shelf

Good morning everyone, hope you are well :-) Here I am with an Altered project for you. This little shelf I had as a child to store my little characters on and it has been sitting in the loft for years! My mother got it out and asked if I had any ideas for updating it (It was a slightly dark wood with a plaque on the top with flowers on-very 1990's!) So I had a play and this is what I came up with.
I started by priming with Gesso, then painted Metallic Rust colour acrylic paint on top. I then coated it with crackle glaze and let it dry for a good while. Next I altered the plaque by finding a fabulous butterfly heavy sticker embellishment and moulding it to fit. I then painted on my coat of sand colour acrylic paint and waited for the cracks to appear and for my shelves to dry. Lastly I used Glossy accents on the plaque to make it really look like it was meant to be this way.

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:
Crafty Calender Challenge: Things with Wings
Crafts4Eternity: Wonderful Wings
Fairy Tale Challenge: Things with Wings
Creative Craft Challenges: Distress it
Tando Creative Challenges: Alter it
Thank you for looking and for your lovely comments, I really do appreciate them :-)

29 comments:

  1. gorgeous Elaine, you definitely have a talent for altering!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful x Would love to see a before picture xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Sammylou I only thought I shouldve done after I had already altered it-will think to do so next time :-)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant - just the treatment to give the shelves a new lease of life. It not only looks very decorative now but it's also perfect for storing ink pads on, or little bottles of stickles, etc. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine, This is amazing your talent really shines through! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this is stunning, love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great well worth the hard work you put in x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, well done. Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fab!!! Love how you've given it a 2nd lease of life!
    Hugs Alison x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really lovely - just need to find a new use for it now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooo...how gorgeous! It has worked wonderfully, I really must try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elaine, just gorgeous, love the color xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the same as Sammylou, It would have been nice to see a before pic... But never mind, i can imagine it... It was certainly worth all the effort.... I's stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOve this! It's very impressive!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great altered piece Elaine. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Elaine you clever girl this is fab but must agree with Sammylou, does your mum know you robbed the garden too? haha. Saw you're Mum's draws (not litterally) when I was back tracking to see the previous work which is also fab, hope you're keeping well as I've not heard from you in a while. Hugs Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous Elaine, lovely to have something from when you were young to update for today.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this altered project. Beautiful.
    Thanks for joining Crafts 4 Eternity.
    Hugs Berit

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow super little shelf !! ... lol ... dont think I have commented on a shelf before ... I am sure you will have fun filling it up ... well done ... hope you have a great week ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just gorjuss!
    I seen it on fb and knew right away it was you! I adore it, its simply stunning!

    Hope your well and feeling better? Have a happy week!
    Hugs melly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW this looks lovely..and would make a lovely little shelf for stickles and the like...
    CLaire x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving the shelf and a butterfly too. my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a perfect creation for our challenge! Thanks for joining us at Crafts4Eternity.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooo I'd love one of these for my craft room :)

    Thank you so much for sharing your distressed look with us at Creative Craft Challenges.

    xoxoxo Carly

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've altered something similar not to long ago and it was fun. You may want to check it out in my blog. Your Crackle paint came out super nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's beautiful. Thanks for linking it to Tando.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...