My Lovely Followers

Saturday, 2 November 2013

Pretty Butterfly Handmade Kindle Case


Good morning everyone! Hope you are well :-) In the summer I got a basic kindle with a lighted case which I adore. Sadly despite the case being amazon made the quality of the outside of the case is terrible-it scratches up terribly and every time I looked at it I got annoyed! So I decided to remedy this by making my own pretty kindle case for the kindle in its lighted case (I need the light in case I read at night so dont want to lose this feature)
Obviously I had to create my own pattern as its unusual making a case for a kindle already in a case with challenges like being able to use the light and to be able to slip the case front in but I persevered. Considering I am relatively new to sewing I am really pleased with how well I managed to piece this together-it just goes to show if any of you are scared of sewing dont be-if I can do it anyone can! ;-)
I used some remnants I bought which are a lovely heavy weight cotton. First of all I made the pocket base for the lighted case. I cut two 2 inch squares and folded them into triangles which I then machine sewed. I cut two panels of material to fit the back of the case and sewed them all right sides together, leaving a hole to pull them the right way out, then sewed this shut. Next I cut my front and inside panels of my case. I sewed the pocket base onto the inside panel of my case. I cut out a pocket panel to slide the front of the case into and sewed a seam along one side. I then placed all the panels right side together, leaving a hole to pull it right way out again. After I did so I sewed this opening closed. I then decided to make a strap to close the case so I used some of the butterfly material and folded this over and sewed to make the strap tidy. I then sewed one end under the pocked base panel. I then sewed the strap to a butterfly applique I have had for a while, to which I added a popper catch. Lastly I sewed the other side of the popper catch to the front of my case. All done :-) What do you think?

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:
Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments :-)

31 comments:

  1. Wow, thats lovely! much nicer than my boring black case! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea, well done.

    Thanks for joining us at Rhedd & Rosie challenge blog.

    Moira DT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just hopping from DC... wow!!! I am super impressed with this! you should make these to sell :) bet they would be dead popular for Christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great idea. well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous case and a lovely idea

    have a great weekend happy hopping
    Lorna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! great attention to detail and it looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea love it xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea and really pretty, plus nobody else has one the same
    thanks so much for joinging us over at brown sugar and good luck
    caroline brown sugar dt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, lovely case, I agree you could make these to sell they are so pretty.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous idea and loving the material you have used. You could indeed sell these too.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How clever! Very pretty! Thank you for playing along with my Flutter By Wednesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow gorgeous what a brilliant idea perfect presents. Love Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Original project. Wonderful fabric. Congratulations !

    Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz this week.

    Hugs from France.
    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully made case - love it
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful project! I admire people who can custom-make things like this. Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous idea!! It turned out great, much better than ones you can buy in the shops.

    Thank you so much for coming over and joining in with our 18th Challenge at Rhedd and Rosies Challenge Blog.

    Great Big Huge Hugs

    Becca xxx (DT Member)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea, personal, unique and so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that's lovely Elaine and what a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely and so useful project.
    Heike xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I want, I want, fantastic Elaine, must do one like this for my Kindle, right up my street hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really great projject and beautiful material
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous it is really lovely Elaine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always, Elaine, your sewn projects are a great inspiration (if I wasn't so challenged in the stitchery dept!). Lovely gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Elaine, well done on making a fabulous case for your kindle! It just goes to show what you can do when you put your mind to it! Hope you are having a good weekend. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is so gorgeos thanks for sharing with us at brown sugar
    grts tonnie

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful way to decorate and protect your tablet! I love the butterflies you added! Thank you for joining us this week at Fluttery By Wednesdays. We hope you play along with us again soon!

    Jackie, Flutter By Wednesday's DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely creation! Thanks for joining us at Charisma this week. Don't forget to stop by later today for another challenge. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delightful project - I really should sew more. Thanks for entering the Creative Moments challenge.
    Leona

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous, thanks for joining us over at Creative Moments this fortnight
    Claire DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...