My Lovely Followers

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Green and Rose Polka Dot Oilcloth Vanity Bag


Good afternoon everyone, hope you are well :-) Here I am with a project I am very proud of. As many of you who follow my blog will know my challenge to myself this year was to teach myself how to machine sew-I had a teacher at school who was a dragon and very much frightened me off sewing for many years but after falling in love with craft I thought this was sad and that I should at least try again! So here is my first ever project with a zip and first ever oilcloth project. I bought some oilcloth remnants online which gave me a lot of small pieces of fabric in lots of random designs to play with-perfect when you only plan little projects with oilcloth and makes it much cheaper!  I researched online the best tips for sewing oilcloth fabric and discovered I needed leather needles and a teflon foot for my machine so I invested in these too.
I cut two rectangles using this gorgeous green rose oilcloth and chose a zip which was a complimenting colour. I then machine sewed the zip on to each panel using a zip foot on my machine. Next I opened the zip half way so I could turn it out the right way when I finished sewing the panels together all the way. I sewed the three sides of the panels left with right sides together. I then turned it out and was left with a pretty little vanity bag :-) Cheap and relatively easy to make but are lovely gifts to give-exactly what we need this time of year!

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:

Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments :-)

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Elaine - love oil cloth it is so versatile - great project x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful project love the material,Thank you so much for sharing with us at Crafty Blogger network facebook site hugs Tania (DT)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you! I still can't sew! This is fabulous I do love the material.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely Elaine - what great material is this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Elaine it's gorgeous well done you, I had my sewing machine out for the first time this year the other day which is very sad really but I had some curtains that needed 26 inches taken off and a two inch hem on them so all done and back up at the windows and I must say I am proud of them. But love your little project may think of doing some of these for craft fairs in the New Year. So thank you for the inspiration. Love Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh Elaine, that's pretty.
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful bag Elaine!! I have a sewing machine but don't even know how to put the thread in, LOL
    Thanks for joining the TTCRD challenges!
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabby bag Elaine love it - love the print and colours x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic bag, love the material. Thank you for joining us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Elaine, hun, this is fabulous! Zips are a pain (I can never get the fabric to overlap properly) and oilcloth isn't easy to work with at all! Yes, I sew - or did, before discovering papercrafts! - and you'd better believe it, this is GOOD!

    :D

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS Dream Valley's Challenge is also 'Anything but a card....' ;)

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely gift idea, thank you so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is just lush, want one! thank you for sharing at TIOT.EE

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute project! Check out OilclothByTheYard.com for an awesome selection of genuine oilcloth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful, great idea! Thanks for joining us at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic project, I am so envious of your skills (seriously sewing-machine challenged!!) - thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful bag! This is beautiful and I wish I had half of your sewing skills! Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...