My Lovely Followers

Friday, 28 November 2014

My Upcycled Bulb Christmas Mobile with Wind chimes

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are well! I am here with an entry for an upcycling competition at LightBulbs Direct where they encourage to take your old bulbs and upcycle them to give them a new lease of life!
I wanted to make something really special so I decided to make a Christmas mobile with wind chimes with my bulbs as the main stars of the creation!

This year the fashion is neutral colours-twine with accents of colour and sparkle and I love that look so I used that as my inspiration.

Here are some photos of the mobile close up as its hard to appreciate from afar! 
There is a little tutorial underneath so please read on if you are interested in how I made it :-)



Basically I started with twine-cheap to buy but I think a very attractive base. I used Double sided tape directly onto the bulbs glass element and began winding the twine from the top of the glass bulb and moving down, adding double sided tape as I went.
I used two types of bulbs for a different look with similar elements :-)
I apologise about the colouring in these photos-they were taken in the evening!


After they were covered I needed to work out how to suspend them. I decided to glue the twine in a loop on the metal part of the bulb, then fortify this with wire and a little more glue.
When I came to decorate my bulbs (see the close up photos in the post above) I used Crafty Ribbons Jam Pot Ribbons to cover the unsightly fixings for hanging the bulb and also to make them look pretty and give a splash of colour.
I put gingham ribbon on the candle bulbs, and polka dot ribbon on the round bulbs.
I then decorated the bulbs with a mix of wooden and felt die cut snowflakes which I added pearls or gems to. I then used a border of gems around the bulbs too. 
I used two twine wreaths to create my mobile with. I used jewellery wire and lobster clasps with split rings to make it even. I then tied twine from them and chose where to put my bulbs and around these I added further decorations. I decorated the twine I suspended from the wreaths without the bulbs on with wooden snowflakes, mirrors and wooden and jute stars and again I added pearls or gems to some of these too!
I then added the wind chimes in the centre and they sound divine :-)
I really hope you like it and see how much love, time and care it took to take these bulbs and make something really special :-)

Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments!

10 comments:

  1. Love this idea. That little splash of red really catches the eye, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Elaine, I have a confession here, I saw your title come up in my email box and thought errr yuk old light bulbs, then I scrolled down to see what you had done and WOW they look amazing! I love it, I think i'll even try one of these myself. thank you for the inspiration and apology for my initial reaction, that will teach me won't it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous creation Elaine. Those old lightglobes look wonderful. I love all the little embellies you've added and the use of the chimes too.
    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine this is an amazing project. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is fabulous, really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on winning, love the mobile idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elaine, your mobile is wonderful. I love the up- and recycling projects. Hugs, Maja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...