My Lovely Followers

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

All Crafts Challenge Inspiration 'A Practical Handyman' DIY altered drawer set

Hey everyone, hope you are well!
I am here with a special gift I made :-) Its for a man who is really into DIY and practical crafts. I couldnt think what to make him then an idea popped into my head-a vintage style storage for the bits and pieces that come with that sort of hobby!
I found a battered old hardback book called 'The Practical Handyman' which was published in 1930. The book was in a really sorry state so I thought it deserved a new lease of life!
I cut the pages from the book with my craft knife, set them aside and threw away the spine. 
I then cut out the most interesting parts of the book and inked with Tim Holtz Distress inks for an even more aged look.
I then decoupaged these onto the unit for the drawers using mod podge. I made sure they got covered well and varnished a few coats once dry also using mod podge.
I left the drawers plain wood as a design feature.
I then used a thin coat of vaseline inside the unit and alongside the drawers to stop them sticking.

Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments!

3 comments:

  1. Oh WOW what a fabulous project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever and gorgeous project. I bet he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project. Awesome. Sorry I've been missing from your comments for a long while now Elaine. I'm trying to get back to blogging again. Lee x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...