My Lovely Followers

Tuesday, 29 March 2016

A Family Scrapbook for a Loving Nan Part One.



















Good evening everyone :)

I want to share a project that is very close to my heart. Recently my Nan turned 80 and I wanted to make her something really special-we are very close and there is just not enough I can do to show her how much I love and appreciate her.

I told her I wanted to take a look at her family photos in order to rescue and restore them for the future-making digital copies would also allow me to share them with everyone in the family so we make sure that they are safe in many hands!

She gave me a huge bag of photos-over 100 years or more-because she had some of her parents family photos too. Obviously being that old they required some restoration so as I scanned them into my computer I used Photoshop to restore them digitally and it was wonderful to watch some photos which were almost completely ruined turn into *almost* perfect again.

I didn't tell her what I was up to really-but it was her birthday coming up and we were planning a huge family party so I wanted to be able to gift it to her at the party so everyone could have the enjoyment of seeing the photos themselves too!

I dedicated this particular scrapbook to documenting my Nan's early life. I wanted to learn from the memories it would trigger to preserve some family history at the same time-so we can pass these stories to the future generations.

I used My Minds Eye Wild Asparagus papers for the entire book because I love the vintage look which really lends itself well to the era of photos and the imperfect nature of the photos I restored.
I wanted to make sure each page looked different within a theme so I switched up the layouts often. I started by placing the photos and then constructing the page around them until I was happy with the look I got. The first page I added lace and wooden accents.



















The second page was dedicated to a photo of my nan on a wooden chair that we still have in the family. It sits in her front room! It was wonderful to see because I never knew and it is incredible that 80 years on it is still in immaculate condition with its original cushion. A tangible link to her early years!

For this page I used the complimenting Wild Asparagus decoupage, some ric rac, prima butterflies and pearl gems representing their flight on the page.



















The second page was dedicated to her baby/toddler years and the adventure those represented. I found photos of my nan sleeping on her mother in their garden, of her playing with her father in the sandpit he created in their garden and of her mother holding her in the front garden.
I added elements from Sarah Hurley's kits, I punched a butterfly out of the bottom of the border wild asparagus paper and used the negative as a butterfly with pearls and gems as its body.

I will post more pages later and link the posts to each other :)

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:
Crafting from the Heart: Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Not Just Cards Challenge: Anything Goes
Tuesday Throwdown: Add lace (Page One!)
Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes

Thank you for looking and for all your lovely comments :)

4 comments:

  1. Terrific page, Elaine! Love the lace. It's great to see you entering our "Use Lace" challenge at Tuesday Throwdown this week. Hope to see you again soon.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! Thanks so much for participating in our LEMON SHORTBREAD challenge!!! Can’t wait to see you participate again in our next challenge!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pages! Scrapbooking is such a special way to preserve memories especially when handmade and yours are beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Your Passion. Rina -DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a precious gift! i'm sure your nan was thrilled with it. lovely layouts and beautiful papers. thank you for sharing it with us at TTCRD and good luck in the challenge, Theresa DT xx.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them all :-) Elaine-xxx-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...